Friday, June 25, 2010

Loving Summer Vacation

Things I'm loving about summer vacation :

1. Getting to spend oodles and oodles of time with L.
    Seriously, I feel like I am on maternity leave again, and I love it. And we fell right back into our old routine. He wakes up around 6:45 and I bring him into bed with me, were he nurses and we doze and cuddle until about 7:45. Then up for breakfast and to the gym for mommy's pilates/yoga class and a quick run, then home for lunch. In the afternoons we usually hit either the pool, the library or barnes and nobles and then home for our afternoon nap and playtime and Daddy is home by 4:30. It's heaven I tell you. It really reinforces to me that my ultimate goal is to be a stay at home mama. And don't get me wrong, I know that I really, really have the best of both worlds, as I have mentioned before. To be able to work part time, four days a week is amazing, and while I'm in the routine of the work schedule I don't hate it. I'm not restentful that I'm at work, if anything I really do enjoy my job and the people I interact with and getting dressed up and grown up converstation. And I'm ok with it, for as long as I have to do it, but I know that ultimately I want to stay home. Because, really, who wouldn't want to spend all day with this handsome little man?






2. Getting back to the gym.
    Well, hello old friends. I've missed you. Before I was pregnant I was something of a fitness fanatic, in the gym 5-7 days a week, and while I  slowed down while pregnant I was still very active, and did pre-natal yoga once a week. After L came I was back in the gym at two weeks, basically one same schedule I mentioned before. A yoga or pilates class, followed by a run (or, two weeks after birth, a walk). Now that I"m working part time I don't go as often. And it's not so much that I've gotten lazy, I do miss going, but I would rather spend time with L. And after he has been in daycare for the morning, mommy guily kicks in big time if I put him in gym daycare for the afternoon. So I've been going 2-4 times a week, and really only running and some weights. No classes. I know I could go to the evening classes after S gets home, but that's were the laziness does kick and truthfully by that point I'm exhausted and all I want to do is lounge on the couch with my two guys. But I'm so happy to be back in yoga and pilates, at least over summer break. It makes me feel strong and healthy and centered, and if you've never tried it I highly recommend it.


3.Reading
   I love love love  to read. Ever since I was a littel girl I have always been able to get lost in fiction. And I am a fast reader. Alway have been. Seriously, I can finish a book in one afternoon if I let myself. So I am trying to make ample use of our public library (although the offerings are slim) and buy books from amazon and the discount racks of Barnes and Nobles.  And although the Phoenix weather is pretty miserable during the day (hello, 111 degrees?) at night, after everyone has gone to bed, I love sitting on our back porch with a good book and a glass of wine and just getting lost in the story. And here is the honesty disclaimer: you may be about to lose respect for me. I am not reading something to strengthen my mind or viewpoint. I am not reading the classics or non fiction or philosophy. Oh no, bring on the beach reads. I am reading Nicholas Sparks and Jane Green. I am grabbing every book at the book store and library that has a pink cover.  I want to disappear in to the world of woman who are dealing with men issues, weight issues and shoe issues. I want to cry over the overly romantic and completely unrealistic love affairs of Mr. Sparks. And I am not ashamed to admit it.


4. Pool time
   I think S and I are both estatic over how much L is loving the water. We are both water babies, him in the ocean and me in the pool, but we both love and it is so great that it seems like L is going to love it too. And he is fearless, which gives his Daddy immense amounts of pleasure and and his mommy heartattacks. He constantly dunks his head and submerges his faces and tries to get to the deeper end when he is on the steps. He loves kicking and thinks splashing is pretty much the funniest thing in the world. And on a hot summer day in phoenix there is nothing better then a cool pool, and a picnic lunch, and a happy baby, and a handsome husband. I am truly loving my life right now.





So those are the things I am loving about summer right now. And it's only been one week. What's everyone else loving about summer vacay? I'm sure I'll have much, much more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment