Monday, September 5, 2011

Crafty-Mc-Crafterson!

Just call me the "New Martha Stewart"!

OK, no, seriously..... I am not, by nature, a crafty person. I don't have the patience for them, or the free-thinking, go with the flow, creative mindset. When I was in my sorority in college I shuddered at the thought of having to make those darn flower pens for new members, and I much preferred to go to a party then attend "craft night".

But I am trying to expand my horizons. First, now that I am home, I like having different projects to keep me busy, and I like finding crafty-type things I can do with L, because he loves it. Also, I feel like as long as I'm diving headfirst into this new chapter of my life (Wife, mommy, SAHM..... as opposed to Sorority Girl, girlfriend, college student, etc.) I might as well explore other things that, up until this point in my life, I have mostly avoided. (This also included cooking, but that's another story).

Anyway, I completed a pretty cool craft, and I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty proud of myself.

**Disclaimer: I take no credit for coming up with this craft on my own. Someone else posted it on Pinterest (Are you on Pintesrest? You should be, it rocks!) and I followed it to this website to find all the instructions.

So here's what you need:

 -A Cricut Machine or some other sort of letter cutter (I"m not sure what this one is called, I borrowed it from a friend) If you don't have a machine of your own, or crafty friends who can borrow one from, you can use stencils.
-Contact Paper
-An exacto knife


-Blank Canvas (Any Size)


-Fabric (Enough to cover your canvas)


-Spray Paint (Trying to buy this stuff is like trying to get a Green Card, so make sure you look wholesome and not suspicious when you go in to buy it!)


And here is what you do:


-Using your machine, or stencils, trace and cut out the letters to the saying or quote of your choosing on your contact paper. 


-Cover your canvas with your fabric and secure it the a staple gun.
-Lay the letters out on top of the canvas to make sure you have the spacing correct.
-Once everything looks good, peel of the paper backing on the contact paper and stick the letters the canvas.


-Spray a thick and even coat of spray paint over the whole thing and let dry


-Once it is dry, peel of the letters


-And here is the end result! The fabric shows through the spray paint, making an awesome contrast, and you have super cute art to hang in your house!

Here are a few optional steps in this process:
-Refrain from yelling at lady in Michael's who tells you they don't sell fabric, even though you specifically called that morning and the guy on the phone told you they did.
-Cry and possibly utter a few swear words when you realize you cut your letters on the wrong side of the contact paper and they are all backwards
-Get tutorial from husband on how to use staple gun
-Make sure spray paint can is not pointed at you when you spray it

**Again, these steps are optional!

**Take that, you stupid flower pens!



No comments:

Post a Comment