Monday, September 19, 2011

Birthday BBQ!

So I have a little bit of "Mommy Guilt" because I didn't throw a full on birthday party for L's second birthday. There were several reasons we decided against this, the first being that we really don't know that many other kids. We only have a few friends that have kids yet, and L isn't in school or anything. The second, and probably biggest, reason is that I just plain didn't have it in me. At 8.5 months pregnant I just didn't have the energy or the patience to pull off anything that involved more that  fruit tray and a BBQ. There was no way I was going to be able to do the whole decorations/party bags/games thing. So the guilt is there a little, but it is fading. We did just a simply BBQ with a handful of family and friends. L had a blast, we had fun, and I didn't have to do too much!

So we had basic food: fruit, veggies, chips, hamburgers, hot dogs and, of course, cake!



And more importantly, we had family (my father-in-law came in from California) and good friends who are a big part of both L's and our lives.




We had two separate cakes (neither of which I baked). One for everyone, and a small one that my friend Erin made especially for L. The thought was that he would have his own cake that he could dive into and make a mess out of, but since he is being so picky with food lately he only barely tasted it!






And when he did taste it, he wasn't totally sure what to think. My weird child, he turns up his nose at sugar and treats, but can eat grapes and other fruit by the pound!


And of course there were presents. L got a ton of new clothes for the colder weather months, which he really needed, and toys and books.




And his big present from Mommy and Daddy was a huge hit. It brought tears to my eyes to see him on this because he just looks so big! But he is in love with his new tricycle!




So, it was a simple and small affair, but memorable and special at the same time. There will be plenty of time for huge and extravagant birthday parties as he gets older, so I think I"m actually pretty glad we did it this way for his second!

No comments:

Post a Comment