Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

Happy (late) Mother's Day!


I was going to write yesterday, but my first Mother's Day ended up being so busy, and as much as I wanted to write down every moment as they happened so I wouldn't forget, I couldn't (and didn't want to) tear myself away from my family for even one second yesterday.

S took L downstairs yesterday morning so that I could sleep in (Glorious!!!!) and when I finally made it down I was met with a beautiful bunch of pink roses, an avocado omelet and bacon, yum!



After we ate we headed into Glendale and went and saw Babies at the movies. So cute, and I definitely cried a little, remembering L when he was first born and how little he was, but I think you probably have to have children to truly appreciate it. It was a good message too, basically that despite race and culture and circumstance, we are all the same and we all start out the same. After the movie we grabbed a quick lunch and then S took me shopping. Shopping makes Mommy very, very happy! It's been a long time since I've bought anything for myself so it was a great gift. We wrapped it all up with sandwiches and wine and watching Ugly Betty curled up on the couch. What a great day. What a great holiday. I love Mother's Day, and not because of the flowers and the gifts (although those were pretty awesome) but because I felt so, so loved and it was an excuse to just soak in that love and spend all day with the two people I love most in the world.

And as an additional Mother's Day Gift, L had two big milestone moments leading up this weekend. First, our boy is officially crawling. And, oh boy, he is loving it. He is on the move big time and there is no stopping him. And he seems to especially gravitate to stuff he isn’t' suppose to be getting into. (The DVD rack, the garbage can, the dogs water bowl. We have had at least three instances where he has dumped the water bowl on himself. He thinks it's hilarious.) It's tiring, keeping up with him, but it is so much fun to watch. I love how proud of himself he is. He makes little grunting, squealing noises and he crawls along, like he is just so excited to finally be moving like this. It is so funny, and so cute.



Secondly, he went swimming for the first time on Saturday. So much fun. When I was in high school I spent my summers life guarding and teaching swim lessons to all ages, babies through pre-teen, and it was some of the most fun I ever had. I remember when I used to teach the "water babies" classes thinking "someday I'll be able to do this with my kids." And now, ten years later, here I am, with a beautiful baby boy and teaching him how to swim. Ok, not really teaching him how to swim yet, more like holding him in the water and letting him splash. But it was great, and he loves the water and I am so excited to spend summers by the pool with him.






Overall, this was one of the best weekends I've had and it was made all the better by getting to celebrate Mother's Day for the first time. So happy Mother's Day to all you other Mama's out there, I hope you had as wonderful a day as I did!




No comments:

Post a Comment