Monday, March 15, 2010

6 months

L is 6 months old today. 6 months ago, on September 15th, 2009, my little man came in to my life and in doing so made it better in ways I didn't even know were possible. In the last 6 months he has truly made me a better person. With him here I am more likely to slow down and admire the wonder in things that I would not have even given a second glance to before. Thing that when he sees them are so full of mystery and unexplainable to him, like the way the light dances of the ceiling in patterns when the fan is going, or the birds that hop around in our way too tall grass in the backyard. I love seeing the world through his eyes. I also find I am less likely to snap at people, both stranges and loved ones. I don't get as stressed at work, because I know at noon I get to go home and take a cuddley nap with him. He is my rose-colored glasses and everything is just a little brighter and happier  with him here.

I was not a happy, glowy, pregnant woman. Those nine months were hard on me, both mentally and physically. I didn't love it, I endured it for the reward at the end. And, since I found out I was pregnant at about 3 weeks, those 9 months seemed soooooo long. I couldn't wait for him to just be here. And so it seems crazy that these past 6 months have flown by so quickly that I feel I can barely remeber that tiny 8 pound baby that came home from the hospital with us. Now he rolls and babbles and laughs and talks and gets mad, and everyday it is something new and exciting, but sometimes I just want to shout "stop!" I want it all to slow down. I want him to stay my little baby boy.

But, time does not stop, and so today we celebrate 6 months of  love and learning and the joys and trials of parenthood. And to L, I have to say thank you. Thank you, little monkey, for making me complete. I love you more then anything in this world and I promise to always try to see this big world through your innocent eyes. I remeber that day, 6 months ago, at 2:45 P.M., when you made your entrance after 17 long hours of labor. The memory of the exact moment is a blur, doctors and nurses swarming around, people yelling and cheering and calling out encouragment, your daddy holding my hand and holding back tears (although he won't admit that). But one memory is sharp and clear: they place you, all slimy and cone-headed and screaming on my tummy and in that moment I know that I love you more than anything (even after you promtly peed and pooped on me!). So happy 6 month birthday, L. Thanks for just making me better. 

I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment