Saturday, November 15, 2014

Evicted (The baby, not us!)

Well, S finally won the battle of getting R into his own crib in his own room.

I know, you guys, I know. It's time. On a logical level I totally get that. I mean, he's over a year. We moved L and L2 both at 9 months and people thought we were crazy for waiting that long. I know so many people that move the baby out of there room after a few weeks and feel so relieved to finally have their space back.

I'm just not one of those people. I like having my baby next to me. I like having him in my bed. I like knowing that if he wakes up in the middle of the night I am only a touch away. I feel like I sleep better and get more sleep when he was in our room/co-sleeping. Instead of getting up to comfort him in the middle of the night, walking to the nursery, nursing/rocking/singing him back to sleep and then stumbling back to my bed exhausted, I just grab him bring him into bed and we either night nurse or go right back to sleep.

S has been ready since R was about 7 months. I've held him off as long as I can, but I know it's not totally fair to him when he does want his space back. And I also know I've created some bad (yet wonderful) habits by letting R in our bed and I need to give him the confidence that he can put himself to sleep. That's not to say I'm totally kicking R out of our bed. If he wakes up at night, or in the early morning, he will still be coming in with us. It just works for us right now and it gives me the extra much needed sleep that I need.

So last night was our first night. I have to say, I"m pretty proud of both myself and R. He slept wonderfully, and didn't wake up once throughout the night. I also slept great, and only got up to check on him twice. When we moved L to his own room I slept on the floor the first night, so I'd say I've made some big steps!!! I missed my baby and I missed having him so close to me, but it was nice to not feel like I had to tiptoe around the room when we went to bed in order to not wake him up. S went into check on him before he left for work this morning, and R must have woken up, stood up, and then promptly feel back asleep. Standing up. He was leaning against the crib rail fast asleep!!! I swear, this kid is so funny!!!

Anyway, I think that this step is really making it hit home that my baby isn't such a little baby anymore. Bittersweet to say the least. But, on the bright side, at least when I read in bed at night I can actually use the bed side light instead of using my iPhone!!! Silver linings, am I right?

So on we go to the second night. Cross your fingers we all have as good a night again as we did yesterday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment