Friday, July 8, 2011

Suzie Homemaker

I'll be honest, I'm not much of a cook. That's not to say when I do cook that things don't come out OK, I"m just not one of those people (Hi, mom!) who can open up the fridge or the pantry, see what I have on hand and then throw together a delicious dinner with no recipe. No, I need recipes, preferably with directions that have been written in a way that a young child can understand. I need to know when to chop, how to dice, what order to do steps in and precise timing. The thing is, is I actually do kind of like cooking, I just feel like it takes me so much time and effort to make something nice, that in the past I have been much more likely to throw together sandwiches or quesadillas or order something in.

However, now that I am staying home I am really trying to channel my inner-housewife. I subscribed to "Taste of Home" magazine, broke out my cook books, and have made myself familiar with our local Trader Joe's. Because it's summer I've been doing a lot of yummy marinades and having S grill up the  chicken i prepared when he gets home, but tonight I got a little bit adventurous.

A little bit of this:

And this:

And you get this:


Pita pockets stuffed with pear Waldorf salad and a light lemon dressing. Super yummy, super light for the hot weather, and easy to make. Also, very cheap. I had pretty much all the ingredients in my house all ready!

And for dessert?

This:

Plus this:

Equals this:


Blueberry cobbler, served with a little bit of vanilla bean ice cream. Heaven. I have memories of my mom making cobbler when I was kid and it was always the most delicious thing ever. I also always thought it was so exotic so I like that it's actually pretty easy to make.

What can I say, just call me Betty Crocker. Or Bree Van De Kamp (Desperate Housewives reference). Your choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment