Friday, July 22, 2011

Long day

Wow. Today has been one-of-those-days.  You know, the kind where at the end of it all you really want to do is crawl under the covers with a bottle of wine (unfortunately not an option at 6.5 months pregnant!). I'm ready for today to be over. I try on this blog to mostly write about the good and the fun things that we do. This is for two reasons, first off, who really wants to record the bad times, and two, I really try to find the good and the fun and the special in our everyday life. The good days by far outweigh any bad days we have, and the laughter and the hugs and the kisses outnumber the tantrums ten fold.

Except for today.

And I"m going to write about today because you can't really appreciate the good days without having a few bad ones thrown in the mix. And it's not like anything really bad happened today. It was just a long, long day and L was a terror though all of it. And the thing is, is L is a really good, easy kid.  I know we are really lucky, but today he decided to remind it just how bad it could be. All day today there have been tantrums. Pretty much the only words I have heard are "no" and "mine", both of which have been shouted at me continuously. At our playgroup he refused to share with the other kids and threw a fit if anyone tried to play with the same toys he was. (Normally he is amazing at sharing). He went into a full kicking and screaming fit in the library when I couldn't pick him up. Nap time was a battle of wills, which he eventually won. Dinner was the same.

I am exhausted and frustrated and have cried three times today. And I know that L is exhausted and frustrated and cried out to. He's just having a bad day, which we all have, but it's so hard at this age for him to communicate exactly what is bothering him. Today was the kind of day, where as a mom I wish I could have done more. I feel like a failure because I couldn't turn this day around for either of us. Instead of finding some genius solution I just sat down and cried right along with him.

But tomorrow is another day, and I know (hope?) that my sweet little boy will be back. We are entering the "terrible two's" stage and I know there will be more days like this, but I'm also just as certain that the "unicorn and glitter" days will outweigh the "tiny little person screaming at me" days.

So today is done, L is about to go to bed, and I"m going to settle for some hot tea instead of the wine. And I'm looking forward to a clean slate tomorrow.

Goodnight all!

1 comment:

  1. Just saw your comment on my post. I am sorry that you are going through the same thing, but I feel so much better knowing that I am not alone. Sending you a mommy hug :) I would love to hear how baby number 2 is doing.

    ReplyDelete