Friday, June 6, 2014

Summer time

Well, summer is officially here in Phoenix. I know the calendar says it is still technically spring, but our 110 degree heat begs to differ. Summer last a long time in Phoenix, and by the end of it, I'm over it. However, the first few weeks still carry that summer feeling, that giddiness, that I remember from when I was a kid. There is just something about summer. Even though our schedules really don't change, the days are longer and we tend to move slower. It's not uncommon to have spontaneous movie dates (like we did today) just to get into someone else's AC and escape the heat. There are Popsicles at lunch and splash pad days and little boys that seem to constantly smell like sunscreen and chlorine. We've been slowly easing into our summer activities around here. The sports season are over for the year and instead of practices and games on the weekend we've been able to have a little more spontaneity, like stopping at the fire house open house on a whim.



It took the boys a bit to warm up, but once they did, L loved the fire trucks and the hats and letting the fireman show him all the hoses. It was free and easy and a total spur of the moment decision when we saw the cardboard sigh on the side of the road, but hopefully one that will be a happy childhood memory for me boys.

Of course, one of our biggest summer activities around here is the pool. From now until September we will spend at least one full day of each weekend splashing and playing and trying desperately to cool off.  L was just starting to swim independently at the end of last summer, and although he is back to relying on his kick board and noodle right now I know he will soon remember those skills. L2 is not liking the pool right now. I don't know if it's possible the water hasn't quite warmed up enough for him yet (He's like his mama, he doesn't like to be cold!) but he freaks out every time we make him go in. I don't think he's scared..... he likes playing on the step and he likes playing around the pool.... he just doesn't like actually going in. I'm hoping this changes as summer goes on. Phoenix kids kind of have to love swimming.... I'm pretty sure it's a rule.




R is a little water baby. (L and L2 both loved the pool at his age too). He loves going out and splashing with mommy and daddy, and he thinks it's pretty hilarious to watch his brothers play!






Pool days are almost always followed by long afternoon naps. R is going through a cuddly stage where he is happiest if he is sleeping on someones chest. It is so sweet and I love these baby cuddles.... but, man, it gets really hot sometimes! That's OK though, I'll take a little sweat if I can have some more cuddles with my sweet baby.


Hhhmmmm.... let's see. What else? Forts. Oh my goodness.... the forts. Anyone else have kiddos (especially boys) who are super into the forts? It's almost getting ridiculous at my house, and I'm pretty sure L has a future as a builder or an architect. His forts lately have been taking up my entire loft, and they are quite involved. I've labeled the picture below, and as you can see, it's pretty intense. And also, he doesn't like if you call it a "fort", it's his house. It's sweet, but I've had to put my foot down about dismantling it and cleaning up at the end of the night because it was getting to the point where I could hardly get through the loft to the boys room!


Next week we will be celebrating Father's Day in California, which should be a nice trip. We are visiting my in-laws and the boys love getting to see their papa and grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment