Saturday, November 9, 2013

The birth of Baby R

He's here!!!!

I am so happy to introduce to you all, Baby R!!!!

(Yes, we've moved away from the L names!!)

R was originally due on November 9th. Today actually. He was born last Sunday, November 3rd, 6 days early. He was 7 lbs and 10 oz and 19.5 inches long. Smallest baby we've had yet, L was 8.4 and L2 was 8.7. He is also, by far, the craziest and most dramatic birth we have had!

I was soooo ready for him to come last weekend. At 39 weeks pregnant, I was done. Everything hurt, I was so uncomfortable, and I was just ready to meet our little man. I had a feeling he would come sometime during the 39th week, as L2 had come 5 days early. My main thing was I had wanted him to wait until after L2's bday (10/24), after Halloween, after my mom got here (she got in on the afternoon of the 2nd)..... and, I admit, I really wanted him to wait until I had gotten a manicure/pedicure with my mom!

Well my mom got here on Saturday and on Sunday we went and got a wonderful and relaxing manicure and pedicure, so I told him it was perfectly fine for I'm to come now! I had been having contractions for a little more than a week, some even painful, but I was only dilated to 1cm at my last Dr appointment and the contractions always tapered off. Well, on Sunday night they started up again and we're definitely getting painful. Not too bad, but bad enough that I would have to stop and breath through them a little, and they were about 15-20 minutes apart. I told S and my mom that I thought this might be the start of it, and regardless, if they kept up I thought we should probably go to the hospital tonight to see if I was in labor, rather than wait until S was at work the next day.

Well, after dinner my mom headed home (my parents own a vacation home in the same area as us that they stay in when they come to visit) and promised to keep her phone close. I decided to get in the bath and see what happened with the contractions. The last week every time I had gotten in the bath they had pretty much stopped so I figured it would be a good indicator if they were going to be the real thing or not.

I got in the bath and had my cell phone next to me to keep timing the contraction to see if they started coming any closer. Within about 20 minutes they had gone from hurting a little bit and being about 20 minutes apart to suddenly being excruciating and 2-3 minutes apart. This is my third child, and I had never felt contractions like these before. I was literally crying out/ almost screaming through them. Needless to say I jumped out of the tub and hollered for S to start helping me get stuff together to go to the hospital. Our bags were packed for the most part, but I had a list of things to throw in right before we left (chargers, phone, makeup, hairdryer) and I was trying to double check everything. S called my mom and told her she needed to come quick and ten minutes later she was here and we were in the car. I was dying..... seriously it hurt so bad, but I figured I was probably about a 6 or 7 and we would get to the hospital (only 10 minutes away) and get my epidural, put in a movie, get some sleep, and have the baby in the morning.

When we got to the hospital S dropped me off in the lobby and went to park the car. I was hit by a super hard contraction that sent me to my knees in tears and I'm pretty sure scared of a cleaning woman. We checked in as quick as possible while they asked me questions that I was in way to much pain to answer politely. (Seriously, when was my last period? Probably about ten months ago.)  We then rushed upstairs and I remember vaguely thinking that I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom and I really needed to pee. The moved us straight into a labor room and asked for a urine sample, but as much as I felt like I needed to go I couldn't get more than a few drops. At that point I was like, "OK, let's check me and get me that damn epidural!"

I got on the table and the nurse went to check me. In that back of my mind, despite all the pain, a small part of me was worried she was going to tell me I wasn't really in labor and I needed to go home. The last thing in the entire world i was expecting to hear was that I was already 9 cm!

Immediately I told them I wanted the epidural. It was the first thing out of my mouth. The nurse looked at me sadly and said it was probably too late and they needed to call my Dr right away in hopes that he would get there in time.

I handled this news with some disappointment, but overall, grace and acceptance.

Yeah, no. Just kidding.

I freaked the F out.

Seriously. I immediately started crying/swearing/screaming at everyone in the room. I pretty much told them I would not be having this baby without an epidural so the better figure it out!!! I was dropping F bombs and was pretty much hysterical. I was in so much pain and I was not mentally prepared to even attempt labor without the epidural.... that had never been in the plan.

Well, my Dr got there about ten minutes later, after flying down the freeway. I then proceeded to freak out at him, and swear at him, and tell him had to tell them to get me the epidural. He checked me and said I was already at a ten and the only way to get the pain to stop would be to deliver the baby. He told me that even if they tried to hold out and get me meds, it would be quicker to just give birth. I felt like I was having a panic attack, but the pain at this point was overwhelming and I realized I really didn't have much of a choice.

Everyone got set up, with S on one leg and a nurse on the other. I was screaming and crying and trying to push. This is my third baby, and I know how to push the right way, but I think part of me was holding back and not really wanting to push. My doctor was trying to talk me through it, and so was S. Two more nurses had to join S in holding me legs because I was literally coming of the table in pain and pushing them across the floor. I remember S saying he could see him and my Dr telling my just a few more pushes.

At that point, I really felt like I was having an out of body experience. I screamed that baby out. Every ounce of my being was put into pushing him, but I was practically delirious.

And the next thing I knew, there he was. In my arms and absolutely perfect. I felt like I could barely open my eyes, I was so drained, both physically and emotionally. They put him on my chest right away, and besides listening to his lunges and giving him some suction, that is where he stayed for the next two hours. I seriously love my hospital and the fact that they encourage that initial bond so much. We didn't even get his weight for two hours, but it was so amazing to just hold him and then nurse him right away. He latched on right away and nursed for almost an hour!

Finally they brought my some pain medicine (!!!) and took R to weigh and measure him. This was also the first time I handed him over to S! I was shocked when they said he was only 7 lbs 10 oz! I knew he felt a little smaller than the other boys the second they handed him to me, but I was going to guess 8 lbs 2 oz.... I was never expecting to have a baby less than 8 lbs!

We finally made it up to our room a little after midnight and tried to sleep a little. R was pretty tired and only woke up to nurse like twice, but I was still riding high on the adrenaline and had a really hard time sleeping. I was so happy, and so relieved everything was OK, but also so incredibly shocked that things had happened that fast!

We spend two days in the hospital where R charmed all the nurses! It was so amazing to have my mom and the boys come and meet him the next day! You could tell L was a little freaked out by everything, but he has really taken to R. He is always asking to smell him (I know, weird.) and he always says he smells like pineapple! He also is a little confused as to why the baby is biting mommy's nipples, lol.

L2 has had a much harder time adjusting. He is obviously a little mad at me and is not loving the baby. Today has been the first day he has warmed up to R a little and was sitting next to him and gently patting him. I know it's the age and he will come around, but it does break my heart a little that he is "mad" at me for bringing home the baby!

Anyway, that is R's fast and furious birth story. I'll admit, it's a pretty good story, but it has not changed my feelings towards getting an epidural.... if anything it has reinforced them! I told my Dr if we have another I will be checking myself into the hospital at 8 months to make sure we have plenty of time to get it!

I'll leave you with some more picture from our first few days, and I will be updating as soon as I can!

The boys meeting R for the first time in the hospital!

My amazing doctor!!!


  1. I loved everything about this post! Your family pics are so so sweet? I have to ask, did you find that this recovery was easier with out the drugs? Because I had no drugs with Maddie, I felt like I recovered faster...just wondering :) Congrats! You are so very blessed.

  2. CONGRATS mama boo! How wonderful. :) Can't wait to meet him!