Tuesday, January 16, 2018

A recap of 2017

So, I usually try to do a quick recap of my year around Christmas, or right after the New Year, but between life being hectic and being about a million months pregnant, I didn't get around to it yet. So I wanted to just quickly reflect back on 2017. It was..... quite the year. I started the year feeling pretty hopeless about an election that really rocked my world and opened my eyes to a lot of the ugliness in our country. It was a weird awakening, considering I've never been particularly political, and I felt called to completely step out of my comfort zone and fly across the country to protest and march in solidarity with millions of others who were feeling the same outrage, disgust, and sorrow that I was. The Woman's March in Washington D.C. is an experience that was truly life changing. I am so happy and grateful and proud that I was able to be apart of it. 

Early in the year we found a house we really liked and decided to put our house on the market again and make an offer. Unfortunately the sellers accepted another offer, and even though I was heartbroken we decided to move forward with selling out house and keep looking.

Fast forward a few months and I traveled out to Minnesota for my Grandmothers 96th birthday, and had chance to reconnect with a lot of my cousins, which was awesome. We definitely have some issues and dysfunction in this crazy extended family of mine, but it was nice to be reminded that at the end of the day we have each others backs and we love each other. Almost immediately after returning home I got the sad news that my other Grandmother had passed away so I hopped back on a plane to Wyoming to attended the funeral and help my dad pack up and organize the house my grandparents had lived in for almost 50 years. It was a sad trip, but I'm happy I could be there for my dad.

Next (like, literally as I was in the airport on the way home from Wyoming) I got a call that the offer on the house we loved had fallen through and we immediately re-submitted our offer and it was accepted! We still had our house to sell, but we were so excited. Well, as we moved into summer our house still hadn't sold and we were worried we were going to lose the other house, so we made some pretty grownup moves and decided to go ahead and buy the house while we waited for ours to sell. Talk about anxiety, carrying two mortgages!! Thankfully our house did end up selling within the month so it all worked out!

Well, with all this craziness going on, I realized I was late... and so I took a pregnancy test not thinking for a moment it would be positive..... but Surprise! Surprise! After nearly dying from shock, we were so excited that we would be welcoming baby #4 into our family. But we had a lot going on! We did quite a bit of renovations on our house before we moved in, all new flooring, paint, appliances, baseboards.... and now I had to do all of it while keeping a pregnancy under wraps and suffering from the worst morning sickness! But we were finally able to move in about mid August, and while we still have some projects on deck (the pool, a new kitchen) I am absolutely in love with our forever home!

And then the rest of the year was whirlwind of sports and school and holidays and pregnancy, and now here we are mid-January, two weeks from my due date and just impatiently waiting on this new babe to join the family!

So here's to you, 2017! You were crazy and unexpected and now I'm must excited to see what 2018 has in store!



No comments:

Post a Comment