Sunday, December 11, 2016

Christmas Tree 2016

Holy cow, this post has been sitting in my drafts box and I didn't even realize it! We actually got our (live, as always!) Christmas tree last weekend and decorated it, but apparently I never finished and published my post about it! My bad!

Here she is, our 2016 beauty. I was super sick on the day we were suppose to go tree shopping, but S and the boys did a great job picking a beauty!


And, you know, it's funny. Every year I start to see friends trees going up, and they are gorgeous. I lot of them have the fake trees which are so symmetrical and you don't have to worry about watering... the list of pro's goes on and on. And they have twinkly white lights and beautiful ornaments, and for a moment I get jealous.  I want a grown up and sophisticated and symmetrical and all white light tree. It's so pretty, and looks like it belongs in a magazine!

But then, we find an amazing live tree, and S is always so proud of it. And we put on our colored lights that remind me so much of when I was a kid. And then we pull out the ornaments, ranging from old hand-me-downs that once belonged to my grandparents, to the ones S and I have from our first Christmas, and our first house. The ones for our dogs, our first babies, and of course our actual baby's first Christmas's. We have handmade ones from the kids, and while they aren't work of are, they are special. And as we go through all of these memories I fall in love with our tree and our ornaments and while I love those pretty, sophisticated trees with tasteful lights and ornaments, I wouldn't trade ours for anything.

(But maybe one day I'll be one of those people that has a second tree that is all white lights and lovely ornaments!)


And then there is our boys. So excited to see the ornaments. L is especially excited to hear the stories behind them each year. Decorating a tree with little kids isn't easy or relaxing, but it's something they will remember forever.



But, of course, when decorating a tree with young children always make sure you leave time for a tantrum. The three year old will most likely be slighted in some way and need a few minutes to cry and pout behind the tree.



And lastly, your husband will put your oldest on his shoulders so he can put the star on the top of the tree. It is a time honored tradition that both of them will remember forever!


That is until you oldest decides being up that high is super scary, and refuses. And then all the other boys also refuse.



That's then Mommy end up on Daddy's shoulders, because she's the only one brave enough!


But regardless, the tree got decorated and the star found its place. It's so pretty, I could look at it all day long.

No comments:

Post a Comment